Skip to main content

Critical Reflection

Effie Directs Fargo: How did it go?

For this project I had to take on the role of becoming a director, reshooting a scene from a chosen TV programme in our own style, making our own creative choices. I chose the TV show Fargo, with a scene from the pilot episode. So how did it go?

What Worked?

Starting off with the positives. Working on set with a great group of people (actors and crew alike) was a privilege and it was a great deal of fun to be making something bigger than anything I had done before (although still very small).
To start, I feel that I prepared for the shoot well. My timing skills have improved from the last module and I was able to get nearly all of my blog posts done well ahead of time, which in turn really helped me during production and post-production as it meant that I could focus a lot more time into production and post-production.
I arranged my crew almost immediately after the briefing, choosing people in the class that I got along with but also who I knew would focus on the job and get it done. I had had trouble in the previous module with choosing to work with my friends, who I noticed didn't put in the effort I needed them to which made production a little more arduous. But this time my crew were very dedicated to doing well for my production, especially as we all worked together. I live with 2 of my crew which made communication a lot easier and we knew we would get along well.
I felt like I learned a lot more from this term's workshops. It was really useful to have a brief for the day but to be able to create with our own scripts. This meant that we could practice with all the crew well ahead of time to prepare for the actual shoot and know roughly where lighting needed to be.
It was a push but I managed to get all of my pre-production paperwork done and printed out ahead of time which helped me out on set a lot and I was able to show my crew what I was planning. I gave my DoP, Ebony Edney, a copy of my storyboard and shot list so that she was able to look through and get an idea of what I needed from her and what I was planning with my shots.
I was happy to have analysed my edited script. Having that even on set was useful as it meant that I was able to refer back to it and from this, know what kind of emotion I needed to portray in the next scene, which helped with cinematography, lighting and colours used. It also meant that my development of the characters was far more detailed from the previous term, which helped my actors know what I needed from them. I was able to show them my character profiles so that they could get an understanding of what I wanted them to do. This also helped me write the Mandy advert, which I am still getting responses for now.
I feel that my choice and arrangement of the location was also a big positive to the production. Fairly early into planning, Ebony and I decided that we would both share the cost for an AirBnB house, meaning that we would be able to stay on set with our crew, were able to supply the crew with food and drink straight from set, and it gave us the whole day to block out the action as we were on set 24/7. Having this available to us was vital as it meant that none of the crew was ever late to set. The actual location was great for my scene as there was plenty of room for the actors to move in the space and I was able to move through the house without it being confusing to the viewer, thanks to the fairly simple layout. We also chose the house because of the style. This is something we struggled to find as we wanted the set for our production to be perfect. I wasn't too worried about it being similar to the original series set, but I was happy to see the wooden doors and wooden floors in the house as I feel this gave the set a warm feel, making the set feel more homely, which was a good contrast to the action that we were shooting.
We weren't able to do a recce for this location as although AirBnBs are holiday homes they are still private properties and we wouldn't have been able to visit without making a booking. This didn't pose any issues to us. We were able to gain enough information for the Risk Assessment from the images on the AirBnB website and the information written about the house. We began filming on the second morning of being at the house and so we were able to spend the first evening blocking out the action and practicing with equipment such as the lighting, so we had this time to prepare.
I believe my choice in crew was a big positive. Having people that I knew were hard-working in the class was a huge asset as I knew I would be able to ask them to help with something and they would do it for me. Perhaps in the future I will change around the roles between the people as this way I can get to know who is best at what. I did use the workshops to get an idea of this and I feel the roles I chose for people were appropriate, but I feel now after working on set with them I have a better understanding. Also, I had an extra pair of helping hands on this set as in the previous term I had 3 members of crew, whereas now I had 4, it was really useful to be able to have someone to be my gaffer as this way I was able to direct them while looking at the shot so I could get the shot how I wanted it to be. We also didn't have any arguments on set or even disagreements so having this positivity and support was extremely useful during the stressful times.
I am happy with how I cast my roles. I did struggle to find people to do it and it was a bit of a rush and a lot of stress in the end but I managed to arrange people who I feel were right for the roles. Simon did give me a pointer during post-production that Dean and Lee's roles as Lester and Vern should have been switched and once he mentioned it I totally understood what he meant and I completely agree that they would have been better in the opposite roles. I think I did consider them having the opposite roles when I first cast them but I didn't choose to do it this way because of availability and because of Dean's tattoos (I was under the impression that policemen aren't allowed visible tattoos). I do feel that directing Dean could have gone better, but I will expand on this in the next section.
Chris, who played Malvo, was perfect for the part. I was very happy with his performance and he was nice to be with on set too. He had studied my character profile well and we were able to do a Skype call so that I could get a better understanding of his mannerisms, and we were also able to talk about the details such as costume which he had suitable options for.
Lee did a great job on set, given that he wasn't a professional actor. I cast him through a post on Facebook, and he had had acting school experience, and he looked the part and was very friendly and understanding when we met at the university campus as he was also a student, so that I could give him his script. He didn't learn his lines, but this didn't turn out to be too much of an issue (which I feel could have just been lucky). He played the part just how I wanted him to. I wanted Vern to be played a little more stern than in the original. In the original the character seems very cheery and friendly, but because of the context of the conversation I was shooting I wanted him to challenge Lester a little, which turned out great.
As for cinematography I feel choosing Ebony for the role was a good choice. There were shots I could have given more direction for and ones that I should have had on a tripod (this will be discussed in the next section), but overall there were some really beautiful shots that were produced with the use of the lighting and positioning of the camera. I was happy with the coverage I gained and although I did miss some planned shots, the shots that I got and planned were, for the most part, stuck to, and I was happy with how I planned it to be shot. I purposely didn't watch the actual scene that I chose for a couple of weeks in the run up to production as I wanted my take on the show to be completely under my own planning, and I didn't want to end up taking too much inspiration from the show. I obviously knew that it had to be similar in most respects, but I wanted the mise en scene to be created with my own thought rather than taking too much from the original.
I was really happy with how the sound turned out from what was captured on set. This was Harvey's role and I never had any problems with how the sound clips turned out. They were all very clear.
"actor costs" refers to their travel expenses.
I did have to buy a lot of props and special effects material for the production as it required a police uniform, a gun, a prop knife and a real knife, fake blood, among other things. I have included my list of props that I bought for production. In the end the whole production cost me approximately £300, which is what I budgeted for the project, so I managed to stay on budget almost entirely. This was something I was very worried about as I was concerned I was going to have to overspend on things if I wanted them to look realistic. I was planning on having to hire out a police uniform from a prop store but this was very expensive, but I really wanted to avoid buying a fancy dress version as these just didn't seem good enough to me. So after some searching I found that you could buy surplus used police uniforms with the badges removed, so all I needed to do was buy a badge that said police (which for obvious reasons was harder than expected, but I did end up finding a seller eventually) and glue it onto the windbreaker, then buy a black workman's utility belt. Lee (Vern) already had a white shirt, black trousers and a black tie and with the jacket and belt it looked believable enough that I was very happy with it.

What Didn't?

One thing that we struggled with on set was the lighting. I wanted to film at night so that the lighting was realistic to the original scene. This meant that we had to be using a lot of set lighting. This was great to have this control over the lighting that you wouldn't normally have if it were shot in the daytime, but some of the shots turned out quite dark with not enough light on the actor's face, and this was shame as with the proper lighting the shots would have looked great. A particular scene that I think of is the conversation between Vern and Lester. The lighting on Vern turned out fine in my opinion, and I could work with it fine in post production. But the lighting on Lester is too muted, and although you can see Dean's features, the image is not as clear as what I would want it to be.
Another thing that I only really noticed in post production was shot types. Some of the shot types didn't flow as well as they could have, and this is down to not always sticking to the storyboard. I was checking my storyboard and shot list regularly, but for some of the shots we tried something different. I feel like I should stick to my plans more although I also could have done with more of a selection of closeups which I didn't plan.
From this there was also a planned shot that we missed that I struggled without in post. I needed Vern's point of view when he looks through the bathroom door to see Pearl lying on the floor. I managed to find a shot that fit in somewhat but it wasn't perfect. It's a shame to have missed this shot as it would have been great to have it, and even though I planned it and I was ticking shots off as I went I still missed doing it, which is what's fustrating.
I also feel I could have asked for more from Dean. I wanted Lester played quite true to the original but Martin Freeman is an excellent actor and it was difficult to encourage someone to play such a strong emotion as Freeman does. I did try a few times to encourage more of a reaction from him but it didn't really work. I'm still happy with the result and it didn't have a large effect on the end production but it's something I've noted for next time.
Commenting on directing the actors, I also feel that Vern's death scene might not have been good enough. It eventually didn't make the cut, but when I did have it in, it just wasn't realistic at all, and I could have done with a lot more shot types of this as it was the most active part of the scene. I am glad however that I cut it and made a brave holding shot on Lester crouched on the floor so that we don't see what is happening to Vern. I think it's a lot more surprising and I'm much happier with how it looks because it seems more creative.
I think one thing that I found difficult was arranging timing for when actors should be arriving. Obviously, some had other commitments, so making time for those but avoiding running too late was one of the tricky parts of production, especially as one actor needed to get a train home and the last train home was quite early. We managed to get everything done on time and with time to spare however, and I'm glad I gave myself the extra time that I did.
I'm not 100% happy with how the colour grading turned out. I'm not very skilled at colour grading but I've practiced on my past few projects to try and get the hang of it. I feel that on some shots it works really well and I'm really proud of how it turned out (Dean's shots during the phone conversation) but there were shots where, in the original footage the lighting was a funny colour and it made it particularly hard to colour grade as I couldn't change one thing without it making the actor look a funny colour (Chris' shots during the phone conversation). To avoid this in some shots I used masking so that I was only editing certain parts of the shot but this takes a long time as you have to keyframe the movements of the mask with the movements of what is happening on screen. If I had had a lot more time, I would have put more time into colour grading and I feel with a lot more practice I might start getting the hang of it, but for now, it's a case of practice and trial and error.
I wish I had been more liberal with the fake blood too! At the time I didn't want it to turn into something that was overly gruesome and didn't need much to get the point across, but looking back there could have been a lot more fake blood use on Esme (Pearl)'s shots and Lee's shots to make them more realistic.
Editing turned out to cause a lot of problems for me that I didn't expect to have. Due to the Macs at uni and my home computer being at different versions of the software, I'm unable to bring my video that's been edited at home to university to continue editing it. This meant that I lost time that I could have been working on my edit, and also means that I am still struggling to export the film. I tried to bring it to uni to export it but when I opened it, all of the colour grading had disappeared. I feel like I've wasted time on this aspect. In the future I think I will just be editing at university so that I don't have this problem, because it has meant I have had a lot less time to edit than I planned to and I know I could have done a better job on the edit, in my opinion.

What Did I Learn?

Through this project I learned to be a lot more confident on set. Confidence is something that I haven't always excelled in, but through working with new people and being the person that everyone is looking to for guidance has shown me that if I persevere then I know I can do it. Sometimes I can feel anxious about a production but through this production I feel I did much better than I expected myself to emotionally, I thought I would be more worried about meeting the actors but by the end we had made connections with people who all said they wanted to work with us again, and rather than worrying about things by myself I've spoken to classmates who have helped me with things I've been worried about and it's made it a lot easier on myself. What I have learned is that I do have the confidence to do the directing role, I just need to knuckle down and get it done rather than shy away from it.
linked to this, I've also learned communication skills. I've learned how to start conversations with actors in order to get them on board and I've also learned how to write an acting advert. I now know how to communicate with my crew in order to get the shot I need, which I really struggled with in the beginning. In workshops I found it hard to not just take the camera and show where I wanted it to be, but now I know how to effectively communicate with a DoP, a gaffer, and a sound operator to be able to get the best sound and pictures that I want. Although some of the images didn't turn out perfect, I'm still happy with how it was done, and I feel it turned out better than I expected it to.
Equipment-wise, I learned a lot about lighting and using the Tascam recorder. I found the lighting workshop the most useful and I definitely took the skills I learned to set with me. I feel that how the scene was lit has improved hugely to my previous lighting abilities (mostly using natural light and positioning the aperture kit to make the actors face at least visible). Now I know how to properly light a scene, I was able to be much more creative and my favourite shots are the ones with good lighting. As I spoke about, the lighting didn't go perfect in all of the shots and this is down to me and how I composed the shots. But I feel like all of my shots would have looked completely flat if we hadn't have had the workshop on how to use the lights.
I was completely unaware as to how to use the Tascam before our sound workshop, too. I had tried to use it in past workshops but never really understood it until we went over sound and how to use the equipment. Because of this, I was able to help set up the equipment when needed, although I never really needed to direct Harvey much on what I needed from him as he knew the equipment very well. I feel a lot more comfortable using the Tascam to record sound now and I'm glad I do because the sound quality is so much better.
I have been working with crews since college but I learned more about working with a crew on this project than I have in the past. This is thanks to being given a specific role and everyone else having a specific role also. I knew what I needed to do, which was direct and get the creative vision I had across, and it was everyone else's job to help me with that, which they did. It was great to work with people who were dedicated to the job they were given and this gave me a better motivation to direct as well, because I wanted them to be able to do the best job they can. Learning how to work properly with a team and communicate with them was a great thing to learn because before I found it very difficult but now I know I have the confidence to do it and I can get my vision across without taking the camera and showing people what I want.
I was also able to work with professionals, which was a great opportunity. It was interesting to work with actors who have been on other sets before and to hear their stories of what it was like. The best advice I got from a friend whom acted on a project I worked on in October was that actors aren't scary, they're just people doing their job! It was interesting that I had never really thought this before and once I did, I was able to communicate with them a lot better and we had a lot of fun on set. I was concerned about what they would think of me as a director but I think it went far better than I expected it to and it was great to see how my direction could change the way things looked on screen, just by telling the actor to change their facial expression.
Finally, I learned not to edit on my home computer until the macs at uni have upgraded their software.

What Could I Develop?

I think I need to pay more attention to my paperwork. If I had done this on set I wouldn't have missed a vital shot that I needed.The story still works without it, but the style of the scene is disrupted with the lack of this shot.
I also need to acknowledge the importance of the lighting in the shot. A lot of the shots turned out dull because I didn't have enough lighting on the actor's face. I learned a lot from the lighting workshop and it really helped me on set (especially as I was filming at night) but I need to be lighting all of my shots well, not just some of them. I can develop this by taking more time with the lighting, and maybe planning it beforehand too.
I also could have improved with being more thorough with my instructions for my cast. I feel I should have got much more emotion from Dean (Lester) considering the situation. I should have done more to get this reaction from him and although I did bring it up a few times, I perhaps should have reminded him of the character profile so that he could get more into character. I know for the future now that I need to direct my actors more and give them more guidelines for what I want from them.
My preparation of the props could also have been done better. As I was struggling to find actors and a shotgun, sourcing other props got neglected and so I was leaving that aspect of preparation a little too late. I was lucky that I managed to find everything on time, but if I had been unlucky it could have really impacted how believable my scene was.
One last thing is that people keep telling me I need to believe in myself more. My confidence in my work has really improved but I think in the beginning of production I was really concerned about my ideas and I wasn't sure if they were going to be good enough, but in the end I was proven that my idea do turn out well if they're executed well. I think if I believe in my work more it will improve in every aspect, and I am aiming to improve in this from here on out.

Comments

Popular Posts

Documentary: Presenters

Presenters. Presenter-led documentaries create a certain style that is easily engaging for the viewer. They have a sort of 'reference point' to focus on and that feeds them the information they need, while asking the questions they're wondering. As presenter of our group documentary, I want to know what's involved in being a presenter and why a presenter is used for some documentaries, but not others. The Role As a presenter, it's your job to, as you would expect, present the show. Using research that has been done in the pre-production the presenter is able to inform the viewer. They also interact with contributors asking questions, and essentially tell the story of the documentary. It's useful to have a presenter as it means we are likely to get more information from actuality if the presenter asks questions as it's happening. It also adds to the story as the presenter is usually on a journey to learn about the topic of the documentary- this is s

This House Has People In It (S2S Research)

This House Has People In It. This video is one of my favourite short films by YouTube channel Adult Swim. The video consists of (fiction) surveillance footage from an American family home. The shots show different angles from throughout the house and the production is edited in a format that is much like a security camera scroll- it goes from camera to camera as the scene unfolds. The parents are talking in the kitchen with the daughter lying face down on the floor. Eventually the parents turn the conversation to the daughter on the floor and try to get her up. They believed she was throwing a tantrum but soon realise she's stuck. As the family get more and more panicked she begins to sink into the floor and chaos unfolds as the cameras continue to flick between one another showing the rest of the house. Adult Swim The YouTube channel Adult Swim joined YouTube on March 2nd, 2006. Channel stats from Social Blade . Since then, they have made 8,302 public videos and ga

Jungle Run

Jungle Run. Jungle Run was a children's game show that aired on CITV from 1999 to 2006. Set in a jungle, contestants must complete tasks to collect monkeys that earn them time in the final round, whilst having to deal with the mischievous monkey characters that would try to sabotage their gameplay. I want to look at how the gameplay works in Jungle Run as I think it will help with the technicalities of the gameplay in Mission Control. I also want to look at how the show is timed to get a better idea of how much time the scripting should take. As an example, I am using an episode of Jungle Run from series 8. Running Order In order to better understand the programme and the rhythm to which it runs, I made a running order of the show and the duration of each section so that it's broken down and easier to take in each segment. From this, I was able to learn the lengths of sections such as the graphics and 'transition sequences'- montages of the group members