Skip to main content

Mission Control: The Pitch Research

Mission Control Pitch

2 astronauts are stranded in space and need our help. Will you take on the mission?

For my pitch, I have researched topics for each slide to ensure that I was installing enough detail into the presentation for the show to be understandable. My plan for the pitch was for it to be clear, creative and visually enticing.

Channel and Audience

Initially I was planning for the show to be aimed towards a young adult audience and I wanted the show to be broadcast on Dave. I looked into Dave and the kind of shows that they broadcast in order to ensure that my show would fit in with their content. I also looked at their TV guide on the website to get an idea of what content broadcasts when, and distinguished that my show would fit in best on the channel between 22:00 and 00:00, as this is when other gameshows are shown.
Image 1: 'Audience Profiles' from Thinkbox.tv
Furthermore, I looked into NRS social grades and which grades would be relevant for both the programme and the channel and distinguished that Mission Control would fit best with a C2DE audience. I used image one as a reference for audience activity as although it is more focused on what advertising the audiences view, it gives a better idea of their viewing habits for commercial TV like Dave.
However, in the end I chose to make Mission Control aimed towards a much younger audience. I looked into similar aspects of CBBC to ensure that the programme would be able to fit into their broadcasting style and the shows that they create, but also that it would be unique enough to bring something new to the channel.

Props

As the show is set on a spaceship, I will need a lot of props. I tried to find cheap options of where I could buy props for the show to bring down any costs. 
For the character OBIC, I'd like for it to have a computer generated voice, so I tried to find a voice generator where you can download the sound file. I found www.texttomp3.online, however their website only allows 5 file generations a day without paying, which is an issue when trying to decide on the style of voice that OBIC should be.
I also need a trophy for the contestants to win, so I looked for local trophy shows around Medway with trophies that could be used for the show. I found Bretts Trophy Centre in Gillingham, where you can get engraved glass trophies which I think suit the style of the show enough and they're not expensive either. The 2 trophies pictured were what I thought the most suitable for the programme, and they are both under £30.
I then looked into costumes for both the contestants and the presenters. I wanted the presenters to be in more realistic 'space suits', which I found on a costume store online. I like the style of the suits with the black details, and I think the branding can be covered over with our own brands. For the contestants, I figured that they could wear simpler boiler suits, all wearing different colours. I found adult boiler suits on Amazon, but there were also plenty of children's options now that the contestants have changed to children. 

Contestants

I have looked into where we could potentially find contestants, whether it's places that may have people that could be interested in taking part or whether the places will know of other people to contact. I found places where we might find Sci-Fi fans: Get Ready Comics in Rochester, and Sci-Fi by the Sea Festival. Both may not be appropriate to take part themselves, but may know of groups that we could approach to cast for contestants. I also looked at people who are interested in science and Space itself: University of Kent Space Society and The Astronomy Roadshow Planetarium. UoK Space Society would be a good place to approach for a university-age group of people which may not be appropriate for the show. However, The Astronomy Roadshow is a Kent-based company that tour with a Planetarium to get people more interested in Space. They may know of groups, or even science teachers who would be up for taking part in the show.

Comments

Popular Posts

Documentary: Presenters

Presenters. Presenter-led documentaries create a certain style that is easily engaging for the viewer. They have a sort of 'reference point' to focus on and that feeds them the information they need, while asking the questions they're wondering. As presenter of our group documentary, I want to know what's involved in being a presenter and why a presenter is used for some documentaries, but not others. The Role As a presenter, it's your job to, as you would expect, present the show. Using research that has been done in the pre-production the presenter is able to inform the viewer. They also interact with contributors asking questions, and essentially tell the story of the documentary. It's useful to have a presenter as it means we are likely to get more information from actuality if the presenter asks questions as it's happening. It also adds to the story as the presenter is usually on a journey to learn about the topic of the documentary- this is s

This House Has People In It (S2S Research)

This House Has People In It. This video is one of my favourite short films by YouTube channel Adult Swim. The video consists of (fiction) surveillance footage from an American family home. The shots show different angles from throughout the house and the production is edited in a format that is much like a security camera scroll- it goes from camera to camera as the scene unfolds. The parents are talking in the kitchen with the daughter lying face down on the floor. Eventually the parents turn the conversation to the daughter on the floor and try to get her up. They believed she was throwing a tantrum but soon realise she's stuck. As the family get more and more panicked she begins to sink into the floor and chaos unfolds as the cameras continue to flick between one another showing the rest of the house. Adult Swim The YouTube channel Adult Swim joined YouTube on March 2nd, 2006. Channel stats from Social Blade . Since then, they have made 8,302 public videos and ga

Jungle Run

Jungle Run. Jungle Run was a children's game show that aired on CITV from 1999 to 2006. Set in a jungle, contestants must complete tasks to collect monkeys that earn them time in the final round, whilst having to deal with the mischievous monkey characters that would try to sabotage their gameplay. I want to look at how the gameplay works in Jungle Run as I think it will help with the technicalities of the gameplay in Mission Control. I also want to look at how the show is timed to get a better idea of how much time the scripting should take. As an example, I am using an episode of Jungle Run from series 8. Running Order In order to better understand the programme and the rhythm to which it runs, I made a running order of the show and the duration of each section so that it's broken down and easier to take in each segment. From this, I was able to learn the lengths of sections such as the graphics and 'transition sequences'- montages of the group members