Skip to main content

Critical Reflection

Critical Reflection.

For this project I was required to take on the role as producer. I had to create and produce a 30 minute as live television programme with the rest of the class. In this post, I will be reflecting on my role, how I fulfilled the role, what went well and what could have gone better.

The show

The show that I pitched is called Mission Control. It is a children's game show aimed towards 7-13 year olds and to be broadcast on CBBC. It consists of a presenter and a team of 4 who must work together to solve 4 tasks in order to repair the spaceship and fly it back home. The main goal with the show was to develop a highly stylised programme that fit within the broadcasting remit of CBBC.

Pre production

During the pre production, my role involved writing the script, delegating jobs, holding production meetings, and driving production forward. 

What went well?

The pre production stage was the most busy for me. I had to write the script, which took a long time, at the same time as working with the rest of the team to get production up and running. However, the pre production went relatively smoothly.
One main reason for this was production meetings. In production meetings, we were able to address any issues with the rest of the team and get a wide range of responses and ideas. This meant that we were working in a productive and supportive environment. We held production meetings regularly and after every rehearsal so that everything could be addressed straight away. It was useful to have the minutes from the previous meeting, because we could then reflect on progress we've made through the week and work on anything that was falling behind. I will definitely be arranging more production meetings in future productions as it really helped to smooth out the process.
Production meetings also meant that motivation was high throughout production. I found it important to give positive reinforcement through the project as I found it motivated the team and helped to keep everyone on track when they knew they were doing good.
Teamwork was also a huge positive in this project. Everyone worked to help each other out throughout the pre production, and regardless of role we all helped with research. This made much of the processes later in the production much easier such as sourcing medals and costumes. I found it really useful that we got the research done early on in the project. Research that was conducted by different members of the team was in depth and clear, and we were able to share this on the google drive. I also found the Google Drive extremely useful as it was so much easier to quickly access any files of anything that the team created so that we could share it with outside sources, such as giving the set design team the style bible. In future projects I will definitely be using Google Drive to share any pre production because this really helped us.
I found the production of the style bible a useful idea because everyone could add their own style ideas for the programme and it made any creative processes a lot easier. In my next projects I will be creating a style bible as opposed to just moodboards because I like the detail that you can find in a style bible that you can't find in moodboards.
As producer, I believe I did a good job of managing the project and keeping tasks on track. There were occasions where work fell behind but this was solved quickly by addressing the problem in meetings or discussions as soon as it was brought up. I believe I carried out trouble-solving in a professional manner and worked in a collaborative and supportive way as much as possible. I've never really had the experience of managing anything before so to have this opportunity has made me realise how capable I am as a producer, and I would like to take on the role again (which I will be in the Transition unit, because of my experience on this unit!).
Another thing I thought went well was the characters and casting. Although we did have trouble towards the end trying to find someone to play the alien (we eventually asked Ollie to play the alien because of his great performance during a workshop that surprised us all) the casting for the presenter and the admiral turned out great. From the audition, we all knew straight away that we wanted Steve to be our presenter. I wasn't so convinced on Hayley from the audition, but we recorded the auditions and when reviewing them, you could tell that there was potential, she just needed more guidance. I showed the VT director Ebony to make sure she was happy with her and knew she might need to give Hayley a bit more guidance, and ultimately the VTs turned out great.
Although I wasn't directly involved in the production of the VTs, I was very happy with how the VT team worked together and made brilliant VTs that fit very well into the show.
I found the rehearsals nerve-wracking as things seemed to go wrong every time, but they were very productive and everyone worked very hard on their roles. I used the time to edit and develop the script as we noticed problems with it during rehearsals, and this was a good way to make sure everything that needed to be changed was changed straight away. Lauren was an excellent director who stayed very calm throughout production and this really helped everyone on the team because we knew we could trust her and what we were creating.

What could be improved?

Some aspects of pre production could have been improved due to lack of time, attention, or responsibility from my part.
One aspect I think could potentially have gone better was the set. I loved the set and I thought it was very well made by the set design team. However, I think I should have thought more about positioning of the games when I designed them, as they were on the back wall it was difficult to achieve shots because the contestants had their back to the wall. This was my own designing fault and not the set design team's. This was caused by my lack of knowledge of what was achievable from the set design team. I didn't want to make the set too extravagant and give them too much work to do, but at the same time I wanted to make sure the style of the show followed through to the programme. If I could do this again I would try and figure out what is achievable from the team first and then gauge how much I want the set to be stylised based on this.
At some points, it became clear to me that although I felt I did a good job of delegating roles, I trusted in people to do some delegation themselves. I didn't realise that some members of the team were swamped because I thought they were delegating jobs when they weren't. I am at fault because I should have made it more clear of what was expected of them and if they thought they were taking on too much it was fine to say so, but I didn't know. In the future I will definitely be making sure that if I'm delegating roles, I'm more responsible and pay closer attention to tasks people are already working on.
One thing that did cause issues was the management of the runners who we took on from the first years. This should have been handled better by myself because there were occasions where they didn't turn up and didn't let us know, or we had the same runners over and over so the timings for the games were off. In the future I will be working harder to ensure that anyone we hire from outside of the crew is fully aware of their role and call times so that mistakes like this can be avoided.
Finally, I wasn't completely happy with how the script turned out. It worked fine, but it wasn't exceptional, and I think I could have done a better job. I think some of the speech could have been better crafted and more fun. It would have helped to study more 'fun' children's programmes, because I looked at Jungle Run which is presented in quite a serious manner. Writing scripts isn't one of my top skills, so I could have done with doing more research on the subject to ensure I was on the right track. I did try to get feedback where I could, but this could only do so much. However, the experience was a good learning curve, and now I know where I went wrong I'll be able to improve on this in future scripts.

Production

TX day was exciting for everyone and ultimately went well. My role involved speaking to Steve and OBIC through IEM (In Ear Monitoring) and adjudicating the games.

What went well?

During production, the show went quite smooth up until the last VT (I will address this later). I was very nervous for the show but it did turn out fine in the end thanks to the brilliant teamwork and guidance from everyone.
My main role during the show was to speak to Steve through IEM and OBIC through the talkback system. This worked really well and helped Steve a lot as I was able to guide him through the show. I also found it really good to have a way to give him pointers on where he needed to speed up or slow down so that we could hit 30 minutes (although we didn't- more on that later). I worried about this job in the beginning as I hadn't rehearsed it until the day before the show, however, we ended up having enough rehearsals that both me and Steve were able to get used to it and it worked out really well.
Another thing that went great was the audience. Although this wasn't down to my role, I want to mention how great the audience was during the show as they really helped to add a good level of background noise to the show. We hadn't been able to rehearse with anything like this (obviously), so hearing the audience through the show was great. Ollie did really well at guiding them as to when to cheer, and this really brought the show to life.
VTs worked well in the show as the floor crew had a chance to move their cameras around and it gave them plenty of time to move. They all came in on time and worked well with what was happening in the studio.
Lastly, everyone's roles suited them very well for the show. Everyone worked very hard within their roles and this really showed in the production. I was very proud of the whole team during the TX.

What could be improved?

Luckily, we didn't face too many issues during the actual programme, but there were definitely aspects that could have been improved.
The first of these is my instruction-giving. Although members of the crew said that I was clear with my instructions and Steve was happy with how I handled it, there was a moment where I had to make the decision to improvise lines and this was tough. I think I should have planned for the outcome that the contestants would lose the last game but could still win the show. Although this was a stressful moment as I had to deliver the instructions during the VT, I think ultimately I handled it well, but I could have prepared for it previously.
Another issue was that there was a moment where OBIC didn't respond to Steve's question. This left a gap in the audio and it didn't really make sense in the studio. Although it happened too quickly for me to respond, I wish we had created a system where OBIC and Steve could hear each other a lot clearer, because I think they both really struggled to hear each other.
Finally, the biggest issue was definitely the running time. We ended up running 1.30 over the allotted time, and if it had been live TV this would have been awful as the show would have been cut off. This was caused by how we ran our rehearsals, because we couldn't practice with actual games because they hadn't been built yet, it was very difficult to predict how long the games would take. This meant that we consistently ran under schedule in the rehearsals and so when it came to the show, we were prepared to pad much of the script so that it would last longer. However, this ended up not being needed, and then we ended up needing to rush towards the end. If I could do it again, I would find another way of practicing with the games because this was definitely the reason that we struggled so much with time-keeping.

Post production

During the post-production process, I worked with Michael to settle on the final budget.

What went well?

Budgeting was a positive at the end of the show because the whole of the production we were very concerned that the budget would not be enough, however, thanks to Michael's control on the budget, we were under budget and it worked out really well. We had enough to pay everyone back for minor expenses and I was very happy with the outcome. I would manage the finances in the same way if I did the project again because it worked great and it was a fair way of funding the project.

What could be improved?

I feel that during the post-production process I should have been more involved with the final edit, however, this was conducted by Jess and Lauren and they seemed to do a great job of it. However, in the future I want to have more of an input with edits, just to be aware of what is being changed.

Conclusion

What did I learn?

In this project, I found it revolutionary to my work ethic and my understanding of TV practices in general. I was able to develop personal transferrable skills as well as television-specific skills, and I feel that I could go back to older projects or experiences and do a better job of them with my learning from this project.
One aspect that I learned a lot from was communication. In the beginning of the project, I found it difficult to comprehend working with so many people and everyone still getting along. I was nervous that with such a big project, it could potentially cause rifts in the class. However, this ended up being the complete opposite, and thanks to the good communication between each other and staying updated on the status of different roles, the project has brought the class much closer together and we work a lot better together as we've all gained a better understanding of each other's work ethic. I learned how to convey my ideas in a concise and clear manner, and maintaining a professional persona.
Thanks to the good communication, I think I did a good job of problem-solving through the project. Previously, I know I could take problems personally and get myself into a deeper problem by ignoring issues or not addressing them in a proper way, however, working with the whole class forced me to address issues non-personally and with an open mind. I worked quickly to find solutions and did my best to help anyone who was stuck by offering guidance or a helping hand. I have learned not to be so defensive and to work with the people around me in all aspects of life, not just on university projects.
Further from this, I learned how to work well within a team. Teamwork is about supporting each other through processes and keeping on top of your own role so that your material can help others. This learning curve came largely from writing the script, as it made me realise that everyone was relying on me to get it written so that they could use it themselves. I did initially struggle with the pressure of this and didn't feel like I could handle it at times because I was worried I was letting people down, however, looking back this was a good opportunity for growth both personally and professionally, and I've taken from it that teamwork and dedication is key to a smooth production, and that people relying on me is a good thing, not something to be worried about.
On previous projects, I never really considered delegation as part of my role. However, taking it on during this project has taught me a lot about team work. It helped me to understand that everyone is there to help each other rather than just focus specifically on their own role. I know next time however, that I need to make sure that I'm spreading out the roles more evenly.
I've also developed my skill to take on more responsibility. I initially struggled with what I had to achieve and was daunted by the idea of bringing together an entire production, however, I obviously proved to myself that I can do it, and I think in the future I will be open to taking on more responsibility than I usually do. Previously, I would limit myself to jobs I knew I would be able to do, however, this role has made me realise that it's good to step out of your comfort zone because you ultimately learn more from it.
This has led to me being able to grow confidence in my abilities. I often doubt what I'm capable of, and I am proven wrong on every project, as it shows me that I can always achieve what I want to if I put the effort in. I tried really hard with this project because I wanted the show to be as good as possible. I did lack in some areas but I'm learning from the experiences.
Furthermore, this project allowed me to explore production design much further than I have on any other project so far. I was required to create a rough design for the set design team, and aid in the design of the logo and promotional material. I loved this aspect of the project because I was able to play with colours and designs and the practicality of my designs. I liked the combination of being creative and practical at the same time.
Working within a studio environment was obviously a fairly new experience to me. I have worked as a vision mixer for a college project in a mini TV studio and I also worked on the BRITS which was controlled from a gallery, just without the actual studio space. However, having the insight into production from the point of view of a producer has developed my understanding of studio productions as a whole, as I feel like I've had a 'bird's eye view' of the whole project from beginning to end. It has helped me understand what all the different roles are responsible for as well as my own, and I definitely have a better understanding of television production now just because of this experience.
Finally, I have learned a lot about working with children. Although I didn't work directly with the children that much, I learned about the legalities and regulations behind working with children and what the responsibility from the crew is when children are involved. The regulations did cause issues with the production as we had to go through a lengthy process to find a school and school children that were willing to take part in the game show, however, it did pay off as we had a very enthusiastic school and children who were very eager to take part.

What Could I Develop?

I learned a lot from this project, but it also highlighted skills that I need to work more on in order to be able to improve my productions.
Script writing is something I would like to improve on. I don't feel particularly confident in being able to write speech. I am familiar enough with the formats and language, but it is the speech and telling a story through someone else's words that I struggle with. As I used to write, I am used to describing and setting the scene with my writing, however, this is to be avoided in speech because you need to show the viewer, not tell them. This is the aspect that I still haven't quite gripped, so in the future I plan on reading more scripts from dramas to get a better idea of how script writers translate a story into speech.
I also need to develop a bit more confidence in my decisions and not rely on others so much. I often would turn to Lauren for decision-making when the decisions should be made by me. I'm planning on working on having confidence in my decisions and sticking with them. I think I also need to develop my knowledge of the project quicker, which will help me to be able to know if the decision I'm making is the right one.
Although I didn't necessarily work very technically on this project, I want to be able to develop my technical skills, as I have the minimum that is required of me. I have an understanding of lighting and camera-work but I'm definitely lacking in sound, so I want to be able to develop that knowledge with practice as well as research because I think the 'doing' will help me understand better.
Finally, in this project I lacked in my blog work. I know I need to put more time into my blog work in the future and this project has definitely made that clear to me. I struggled with time management especially in the beginning of the project, so for future projects I'm striving to get ahead with work as soon as possible.

Ultimately, I believe I handled the producer role quite well, but I need to develop my general production skills such as script writing and decision-making. I also know I need to work on developing my technical and writing skills, so for future projects I'll be able to take this forward and develop my work as a whole.


Comments

Popular Posts

Documentary: Presenters

Presenters. Presenter-led documentaries create a certain style that is easily engaging for the viewer. They have a sort of 'reference point' to focus on and that feeds them the information they need, while asking the questions they're wondering. As presenter of our group documentary, I want to know what's involved in being a presenter and why a presenter is used for some documentaries, but not others. The Role As a presenter, it's your job to, as you would expect, present the show. Using research that has been done in the pre-production the presenter is able to inform the viewer. They also interact with contributors asking questions, and essentially tell the story of the documentary. It's useful to have a presenter as it means we are likely to get more information from actuality if the presenter asks questions as it's happening. It also adds to the story as the presenter is usually on a journey to learn about the topic of the documentary- this is s

This House Has People In It (S2S Research)

This House Has People In It. This video is one of my favourite short films by YouTube channel Adult Swim. The video consists of (fiction) surveillance footage from an American family home. The shots show different angles from throughout the house and the production is edited in a format that is much like a security camera scroll- it goes from camera to camera as the scene unfolds. The parents are talking in the kitchen with the daughter lying face down on the floor. Eventually the parents turn the conversation to the daughter on the floor and try to get her up. They believed she was throwing a tantrum but soon realise she's stuck. As the family get more and more panicked she begins to sink into the floor and chaos unfolds as the cameras continue to flick between one another showing the rest of the house. Adult Swim The YouTube channel Adult Swim joined YouTube on March 2nd, 2006. Channel stats from Social Blade . Since then, they have made 8,302 public videos and ga

Jungle Run

Jungle Run. Jungle Run was a children's game show that aired on CITV from 1999 to 2006. Set in a jungle, contestants must complete tasks to collect monkeys that earn them time in the final round, whilst having to deal with the mischievous monkey characters that would try to sabotage their gameplay. I want to look at how the gameplay works in Jungle Run as I think it will help with the technicalities of the gameplay in Mission Control. I also want to look at how the show is timed to get a better idea of how much time the scripting should take. As an example, I am using an episode of Jungle Run from series 8. Running Order In order to better understand the programme and the rhythm to which it runs, I made a running order of the show and the duration of each section so that it's broken down and easier to take in each segment. From this, I was able to learn the lengths of sections such as the graphics and 'transition sequences'- montages of the group members