Skip to main content

Final Major Project

Final Major Project.

For this project, I'll be developing a pre-production package to begin my final project of 3rd year. I will need to develop a pitch, script, budget, schedule, casting, locations, and possibly a trailer.
I will be working with Esme as a pair, because we know we want to work together on the final project and we make a Director and Showrunner team.

Ideas

The ideas that we have considered are all revolving around a short film platform of 15-20 minutes. We have both put forward ideas for the plot that generally focus on human interaction.

Podcast

One of my ideas was focused around a plot device. I was curious about a character that keeps a podcast (which could be used as a voiceover) that narrates the plot. I didn't have much of an idea for the plot and so this quickly went down the drain, although I'll keep the plot device idea in mind.

AI

Esme had the idea of an AI character and their human counterpart living through the end of the world. This interested me because I wanted to write about how people interact, and it reminded me of one of my favourite films, Her by Spike Jonze.

Heartwarmer

Inspired by Shaun Meadows' Somers Town, I was interested in writing a heartwarming story of 2 characters. I didn't know what the conflict or resolution would be, but I was drawn in by the idea of writing about the connection between 2 people in the most realistic way that I could manage. 

Chosen Idea

The idea that we decided to go with after a meeting and some plot development is the 'heartwarmer' idea. One initial idea that we discussed was a photographer taking a photo that they shouldn't have. This was an interesting idea but for me it was verging too much on the thriller side which I'm not interested in writing at this stage. Esme then mentioned the idea of someone being in prison. All within the meeting, we had gone from only knowing that the production would star 2 characters to the idea of a father leaving prison and the son having to deal with this life change. 
This is something that we can both relate to in some way which will make the development of the story easier. Although it's a tough subject, we are both able to talk about it without hesitation, which will mean that we can develop a confrontational story without being invasive to real stories.

Project Goals

I want to achieve the following from this project:

  • Maintained organisation
  • Engrossing script
  • Work well with the director (Esme)
  • Professionalism/ organisation
  • Realistic story
  • Clear and developed characters
  • Develop my confidence
I'm eager to make this project one of my best, and so I need to work on my confidence in my projects. I often worry about things too much, and so I'm planning on working with a little more (reasonable) risk in this project in the hope that it makes for a more daring project.
Esme and I have been working together on projects for all of the 3 years and so I'm confident in our team. I just want to make sure that for this project, our ideas stay in line with each other and we both feel the freedom to make creative decisions and agree on them together or work professionally around any obstacles together.
We also may be working in locations that require participation from local businesses for sets. This will require us to make a very good impression on them and to have organisation skills down.

Possible Obstacles

I need to prepare myself for the following:

  • Casting
    • For this project, the chemistry between the actors is absolutely crucial. This could potentially prove to be a difficult task, that I haven't really worked with before. Esme has tasks in place that will hopefully make this process easier, but I'm still a little nervous to see how this will go.
  • Time-keeping
    • In past projects I haven't been very good at keeping to a schedule and have a bad habit of doing things last minute. I'm hoping that through this project I can train myself to get out of that habit and work hard through the whole project.
  • Script
    • I'm not the biggest fan of writing scripts (yet here I am, writing one for my final project...), however I really enjoyed the whole process of production for the Transition unit, so I'm hoping to hold onto that enthusiasm for this project and write a script that I'm proud of.
  • Location
    • For this project, both Esme and I have imagined it to be shot in a seaside town. We will make every effort to make this project everything we want it to be, but working out of town for a lot of the project may prove an interesting and potentially expensive process.

Action Plan

At this stage in pre-production I'm focusing on the story development and beginning the script process. I need to develop the idea into a much more fleshed out plan which I can then start developing a plot from. Once I have made a steady start on the script, Esme and I will begin the pre-production paperwork process. We are planning on a location scout that will include photography and test shoots along the Kent coastline. This will also make the plot easier to develop as I will be able to write to the location.

Comments

Popular Posts

Documentary: Presenters

Presenters. Presenter-led documentaries create a certain style that is easily engaging for the viewer. They have a sort of 'reference point' to focus on and that feeds them the information they need, while asking the questions they're wondering. As presenter of our group documentary, I want to know what's involved in being a presenter and why a presenter is used for some documentaries, but not others. The Role As a presenter, it's your job to, as you would expect, present the show. Using research that has been done in the pre-production the presenter is able to inform the viewer. They also interact with contributors asking questions, and essentially tell the story of the documentary. It's useful to have a presenter as it means we are likely to get more information from actuality if the presenter asks questions as it's happening. It also adds to the story as the presenter is usually on a journey to learn about the topic of the documentary- this is s

Screenwriter: Jack Thorne

Jack Thorne. Jack Thorne is a screenwriter, known most notably for This is England  and Skins , but also stage plays such as Harry Potter and the Cursed Child and Let The Right One In . [1] His work tends to be dark or particularly stylistic. You can see a similarity between a lot of his works, in the way characters relationships are very realistic. He seems to know his characters like they are his friends and family, and write them in a way that makes them particularly relatable and believable to the viewer. In Skins, all of the characters have a friendship that is unique to them. None of them will share the same kind of connection. This can also be said for This is England . From what I've seen in This is England '86 , this sense of unique friendships continues. Every character is different to the last, and they seem to be known in so much detail that you could guess things about them that aren't even shown. He represents real people and real situations, albeit

This House Has People In It (S2S Research)

This House Has People In It. This video is one of my favourite short films by YouTube channel Adult Swim. The video consists of (fiction) surveillance footage from an American family home. The shots show different angles from throughout the house and the production is edited in a format that is much like a security camera scroll- it goes from camera to camera as the scene unfolds. The parents are talking in the kitchen with the daughter lying face down on the floor. Eventually the parents turn the conversation to the daughter on the floor and try to get her up. They believed she was throwing a tantrum but soon realise she's stuck. As the family get more and more panicked she begins to sink into the floor and chaos unfolds as the cameras continue to flick between one another showing the rest of the house. Adult Swim The YouTube channel Adult Swim joined YouTube on March 2nd, 2006. Channel stats from Social Blade . Since then, they have made 8,302 public videos and ga