Skip to main content

Critical Reflection

Reflection.

I'm going to look back on how this project went, in hopes of improving the work for the next project.

Stages

Ideas

In the beginning of the project, I went through the process of trying to plan ideas and settle on something that was viable as well as interesting. When I have an idea, I know it's the one, but for this project I struggled with it coming to me. I had some trouble in the beginning of the project which disrupted the flow of development but some of the ideas were good, just didn't have the viability.

Development

When I settled on the idea I began to develop it further by attempting to start the script and planning the characters.

I used Powerpoint because it allows for an easier presentation of the individual character profiles and also allows for ample image use, such as moodboards.
We began the casting call to get people interested as early as possible. We also started researching locations to get an idea of setting to help the development of visuals.

Script-writing

Initially, the script-writing process was a struggle for me and it took me some time to find the flow. I knew roughly what I wanted the plot to be (this developed at the same time as I started my first few drafts), but I only really knew where I wanted to go with it from Draft 3, which combined my first 2 drafts in style to make something that was realistic but still interesting to read. 

Producing

The planning of the project started as soon as we could, with location recces and casting. We managed to get casting done quickly and carried out a recce visiting multiple locations to decide which to use.
Further in the project, planning of locations and extras started.

What worked 

casting

I was very happy with how the casting went. We had a few people turn up to our casting that we held at the studios and went in with a schedule plan so that we didn't waste time. We paired up the actors to get the best pairing and tested them all individually to get an idea of how they were to work with.

location

We were really happy with finalising the location at Herne Bay. We were able to find everything we need in terms of shoot locations such as a pub, a somewhat tired beach-front, and we also considered using an arcade (which didn't end up in the final script). 

location recce

The location recces that we did were all very productive. There have now been 3 for myself (one not written about because I went the day before hand-in). I have managed to make good progress location-wise, finding the pub, sourcing the fishing rods, and seeing what might affect sound in the different places. For example, on the Fishing Mark in Hampton, it could be very windy as it's a very open location surrounded by water and not close to very much land-mass.

script plot

I was really proud of the development and how the plot ended up. It went through a lot of different stages and going from having very low confidence in the idea to loving it, was something I was proud of. I was happy to include the character development, a plot arc, and positive and negative scenes that develop the story.

website

I was very proud of the outcome of the website and the way in which I made it very accessible in terms of navigation of the site. I also was proud of it as I think it represents our brand well and I'd be proud to pass it on to other people in the industry if they wanted information on the project.

What didn't 

Initial idea planning

Initially, I found it really hard to get started with the planning. I did have some health problems which affected my ability to focus, but it was also disheartening to have that pressure of not feeling in control of my ideas. However I overcame this by persevering with an idea.

Shoot schedule

I found the shoot schedule really difficult and it was a long and arduous process. I feel like I could have streamlined the process by just including scenes/ locations rather than each shot, which I will define and work on in the next project to make it a bit more workable.

extras

Hiring extras has been a really long process. It's been difficult to get people who would be appropriate for the scenes because a lot of them looked too young for the scenes such as the AA meeting.
I made this easier by making the casting spreadsheet where I could decide who would play who and also keep their contact details.

What did I learn?

How to properly budget

I learned how to budget and use Excel properly. I found it a lot easier to put together and collate the information, because usually I find maths and functions difficult. I was really happy with the outcome of the budget sheet and I will be using this new knowledge in the future for sure.

Writer's frame of mind

I learned about the writer's frame of mind, which is to not be happy with the script ever! Mike told us that this was an actual thing writers experience and although it sounds like self-criticism, it actually helped me to decide on parts of the script. I was happy with the outcome of the script in the end and I feel like it was because I could understand that if I kept changing it, I would never be happy with it. I also know that the actors are likely to want to change parts to what feels more natural to them and that's totally fine.

What could I develop?

Shoot schedule

In the future I'll change the way I carry out the shoot schedule. It took too much of my time that I should have spent doing other things.

Time management

I have struggled with time management this project particularly in the beginning, but now I know how to combat that and time management in the beginning will help a lot in the end. This is something I plan to do a lot in the next project.

Conclusion

To conclude, I felt that this project could have gone better in terms of time management. However, I've made a lot of progress with my script-writing and I think the difference from first year is vast. I was so insecure about my writing but I'm now even considering it as a career path. I'm still not completely happy with it, but as Mike told us, that's the writer's frame of mind.

Comments

Popular Posts

Documentary: Presenters

Presenters. Presenter-led documentaries create a certain style that is easily engaging for the viewer. They have a sort of 'reference point' to focus on and that feeds them the information they need, while asking the questions they're wondering. As presenter of our group documentary, I want to know what's involved in being a presenter and why a presenter is used for some documentaries, but not others. The Role As a presenter, it's your job to, as you would expect, present the show. Using research that has been done in the pre-production the presenter is able to inform the viewer. They also interact with contributors asking questions, and essentially tell the story of the documentary. It's useful to have a presenter as it means we are likely to get more information from actuality if the presenter asks questions as it's happening. It also adds to the story as the presenter is usually on a journey to learn about the topic of the documentary- this is s

This House Has People In It (S2S Research)

This House Has People In It. This video is one of my favourite short films by YouTube channel Adult Swim. The video consists of (fiction) surveillance footage from an American family home. The shots show different angles from throughout the house and the production is edited in a format that is much like a security camera scroll- it goes from camera to camera as the scene unfolds. The parents are talking in the kitchen with the daughter lying face down on the floor. Eventually the parents turn the conversation to the daughter on the floor and try to get her up. They believed she was throwing a tantrum but soon realise she's stuck. As the family get more and more panicked she begins to sink into the floor and chaos unfolds as the cameras continue to flick between one another showing the rest of the house. Adult Swim The YouTube channel Adult Swim joined YouTube on March 2nd, 2006. Channel stats from Social Blade . Since then, they have made 8,302 public videos and ga

Jungle Run

Jungle Run. Jungle Run was a children's game show that aired on CITV from 1999 to 2006. Set in a jungle, contestants must complete tasks to collect monkeys that earn them time in the final round, whilst having to deal with the mischievous monkey characters that would try to sabotage their gameplay. I want to look at how the gameplay works in Jungle Run as I think it will help with the technicalities of the gameplay in Mission Control. I also want to look at how the show is timed to get a better idea of how much time the scripting should take. As an example, I am using an episode of Jungle Run from series 8. Running Order In order to better understand the programme and the rhythm to which it runs, I made a running order of the show and the duration of each section so that it's broken down and easier to take in each segment. From this, I was able to learn the lengths of sections such as the graphics and 'transition sequences'- montages of the group members