Skip to main content

Joe Swanberg

Joe Swanberg.

Joe Swanberg is primarily a writer, director, and producer, most recently working on Easy (2016) for Netflix. I want to use his work as an example to work from, especially with it falling into the 'mumblecore' movement.
When we pitched our idea, Joe Swanberg was mentioned as feedback for us to look into. I've found his work inspiring and wanted to break down why, and how it might affect my work.

Easy

Easy, made for Netflix, is an anthology show revolving around the ups and downs of relationships. Joe's way of working on the show was very interesting to me. Speaking to NPR, he revealed that he didn't use a script, instead, he wrote an outline of the scene, and then let his actors improvise. They worked through each scene in this way. "I always felt: wow, it'd be really interesting if these characters just spoke for themselves."
He also filmed each episode in 4 days at a time. This revealed to me just how much can get done, even on bigger productions that don't have scripts to work from.
As pointed out by Stuart Heritage in The Guardian, something I've really loved about Easy is the way it has a facade of one topic, to then hone in on the real issue right towards the end. This gives a more 'real' and 'relatable' feel, addressing a lack of communication in relationships. For example, the second episode. It dresses itself as being about a lesbian couple discussing veganism and the new girlfriend trying it for the first time. However, it later reveals that it was really about how people tend to front to the other just to impress them, even if it's not really what they're like.
"Easy is a small series about small stories told quietly," which is exactly what I hope to achieve with High Tide.

Writing

In terms of writing, particularly for Easy, Swanberg does write a script in the traditional sense. As mentioned, he writes an outline of the scene and then runs through that with his actors.
Although this is something I wouldn't necessarily take on for this project, the idea of only planning the scenes themselves is very interesting to me. Although it has an element of risk involved, it opens up a load of opportunity for the direction of the script as well as the dialogue. Action can be tailored directly to the scene in the moment, and awkward silences generate realism. In my script, I have aimed to create moments of awkward silence within the script itself, however, myself and the director will be pushing for improvisation from the actors in the hopes of making something that comes across as more real. My concern is that anything scripted will be taken too literally.

Producing

When Joe first started out, he was making movies with $5,000-$10,000 budgets and so couldn't afford very well-known actors. He was mostly working with friends and people who didn't have much on-screen experience. "We were really learning to make movies together, and I always felt that that improvised, low-key process allowed those non-actors to give really amazing performances." 

Mumblecore

The term 'mumblecore' emerged in 2005, coined by sound mixer Eric Masunaga at the South by Southwest film festival, referring to the 'performance-based films by young quasi-idealists" (Andrew Bujalski in IndieWIRE). BFI goes onto explain that the word encompasses low-budget films with very low production value and "a self-conscious interest in the everyday trials and tribulations of young Americans struggling to come to terms with the often dispiriting realities of adulthood". It also addresses the fact that anyone anywhere with enough gumption can go out and make a movie now. It very much holds the title for the films with little-to-no value in terms of technology, but a lot of heart.
My interpretation of mumblecore reminds me of my key inspiration being Somerstown (have I mentioned it enough yet?). Although not all mumblecore films are script-less, there is a definite theme of emphasis on improvisation. I also admire the association with films about 20-somethings discovering adulthood, because obviously this is something I can relate to. I think High Tide will fit into this subgenre. Reason being, myself and the director want to push an emphasis on improvisation where possible, although we've limited ourselves on that just to ensure we can maintain some control over the action and development of the story. It also has similarities to the second episode of Easy in a way. It starts as though it's about Martin and his struggle coming back to reality, however, it's really about Rob and his trials with his dad, having to balance his own life as well as almost taking responsibility for his dad's.

How he affected my work

My research into these topics has opened my eyes to the possibilities of improvisation, as well as having a place to belong in the world of filmmaking. This is my first known encounter with mumblecore, but now knowing how it has been defined and made its own place in TV gives me more confidence in my preferred style of both writing, producing, and directing. This will give me the confidence to let the script go a bit during production and see how the actors interpret the film themselves, aside from how I've imagined it. I need to learn to loosen the reigns on my projects because I get worried that it will fail and not make sense at the end. Knowing I can do this with trust and confidence in the project itself will help a lot thanks to the inspiration from Joe's work.

Comments

Popular Posts

Documentary: Presenters

Presenters. Presenter-led documentaries create a certain style that is easily engaging for the viewer. They have a sort of 'reference point' to focus on and that feeds them the information they need, while asking the questions they're wondering. As presenter of our group documentary, I want to know what's involved in being a presenter and why a presenter is used for some documentaries, but not others. The Role As a presenter, it's your job to, as you would expect, present the show. Using research that has been done in the pre-production the presenter is able to inform the viewer. They also interact with contributors asking questions, and essentially tell the story of the documentary. It's useful to have a presenter as it means we are likely to get more information from actuality if the presenter asks questions as it's happening. It also adds to the story as the presenter is usually on a journey to learn about the topic of the documentary- this is s

This House Has People In It (S2S Research)

This House Has People In It. This video is one of my favourite short films by YouTube channel Adult Swim. The video consists of (fiction) surveillance footage from an American family home. The shots show different angles from throughout the house and the production is edited in a format that is much like a security camera scroll- it goes from camera to camera as the scene unfolds. The parents are talking in the kitchen with the daughter lying face down on the floor. Eventually the parents turn the conversation to the daughter on the floor and try to get her up. They believed she was throwing a tantrum but soon realise she's stuck. As the family get more and more panicked she begins to sink into the floor and chaos unfolds as the cameras continue to flick between one another showing the rest of the house. Adult Swim The YouTube channel Adult Swim joined YouTube on March 2nd, 2006. Channel stats from Social Blade . Since then, they have made 8,302 public videos and ga

Jungle Run

Jungle Run. Jungle Run was a children's game show that aired on CITV from 1999 to 2006. Set in a jungle, contestants must complete tasks to collect monkeys that earn them time in the final round, whilst having to deal with the mischievous monkey characters that would try to sabotage their gameplay. I want to look at how the gameplay works in Jungle Run as I think it will help with the technicalities of the gameplay in Mission Control. I also want to look at how the show is timed to get a better idea of how much time the scripting should take. As an example, I am using an episode of Jungle Run from series 8. Running Order In order to better understand the programme and the rhythm to which it runs, I made a running order of the show and the duration of each section so that it's broken down and easier to take in each segment. From this, I was able to learn the lengths of sections such as the graphics and 'transition sequences'- montages of the group members