Skip to main content

Moodboards

Mood Boards


Moodboards created using Canva.com

Other Research

Asking on local Facebook groups

My Wishlists on Airbnb for local homes I could film in

I conducted some primary and secondary research in order to begin developing my first idea, which involved trying to source a location and looking at how different scenes have been shot in other films to get an idea of how to shoot my own.

Once I decided to be shooting my second script, I started to look into locations for this as I needed somewhere with a double bed. Thankfully, one of my friends and member of my crew Ebony Edney agreed to let me use her house to film in. This worked well as it was local and Ebony was able to drive me and the equipment to and from her house.
The idea came from a few weeks I had where I was struggling to sleep and if I did I was having nightmares every night. As this was quite a weird and tough experience I thought I could be able to adapt this into becoming a story. My first idea was to show the development of someone having no sleep over the period of a week and how it affected them so quickly, but this proved difficult as I couldn't think of how to give it a twist and how this could be linked to a meeting. You can see my thought process into this here.
After considering how it could end I thought about how it could be caused at first and looked into why people lose sleep and suffer from insomnia. I read through NHS web pages that went into insomnia and nightmares to get more of an idea of other causes, what they can be like for other people and how they can be resolved, so that I could incorporate these details into the story to make it more realistic.
After reading that previous trauma can cause nightmares, I decided to use this and needed to come up with a traumatic experience for my main character to be dealing with. I decided to use home invasion as this wasn't too difficult to look into, but could be relatable and seemed like it could have a few different outcomes.
I read news articles but didn't find anything inspiring so I watched videos on different home invasions to get an idea on why it might happen. The obvious seemed to be robbery, but this still gave me ideas. I knew that I wanted some kind of reveal to happen in the end so I decided that the robber could be someone we've seen already in the beginning of the script and never suspected. initially the idea was that the person who was believed to be robbing the place was actually the main character sleep-walking, and the wife of the main character mistook him for a home invader. However, this raised more questions than answers, or answers that were very vague and put down to coincidence. So instead I decided to use the friend that the main character confides everything in. It's made clear in the beginning that he knew about the money and wasn't fond of the main character's parents-in-law, which gives him the motive, the only question I did struggle with was how the main character's brain knew all along that that was who it was and to dream about it, which was solved with him waking up briefly and seeing Ethan there, and believing that he was dreaming. This has happened to me before numerous times which I forget about in the morning, so I knew this from personal experience.

Comments

Popular Posts

Documentary: Presenters

Presenters. Presenter-led documentaries create a certain style that is easily engaging for the viewer. They have a sort of 'reference point' to focus on and that feeds them the information they need, while asking the questions they're wondering. As presenter of our group documentary, I want to know what's involved in being a presenter and why a presenter is used for some documentaries, but not others. The Role As a presenter, it's your job to, as you would expect, present the show. Using research that has been done in the pre-production the presenter is able to inform the viewer. They also interact with contributors asking questions, and essentially tell the story of the documentary. It's useful to have a presenter as it means we are likely to get more information from actuality if the presenter asks questions as it's happening. It also adds to the story as the presenter is usually on a journey to learn about the topic of the documentary- this is s

This House Has People In It (S2S Research)

This House Has People In It. This video is one of my favourite short films by YouTube channel Adult Swim. The video consists of (fiction) surveillance footage from an American family home. The shots show different angles from throughout the house and the production is edited in a format that is much like a security camera scroll- it goes from camera to camera as the scene unfolds. The parents are talking in the kitchen with the daughter lying face down on the floor. Eventually the parents turn the conversation to the daughter on the floor and try to get her up. They believed she was throwing a tantrum but soon realise she's stuck. As the family get more and more panicked she begins to sink into the floor and chaos unfolds as the cameras continue to flick between one another showing the rest of the house. Adult Swim The YouTube channel Adult Swim joined YouTube on March 2nd, 2006. Channel stats from Social Blade . Since then, they have made 8,302 public videos and ga

Jungle Run

Jungle Run. Jungle Run was a children's game show that aired on CITV from 1999 to 2006. Set in a jungle, contestants must complete tasks to collect monkeys that earn them time in the final round, whilst having to deal with the mischievous monkey characters that would try to sabotage their gameplay. I want to look at how the gameplay works in Jungle Run as I think it will help with the technicalities of the gameplay in Mission Control. I also want to look at how the show is timed to get a better idea of how much time the scripting should take. As an example, I am using an episode of Jungle Run from series 8. Running Order In order to better understand the programme and the rhythm to which it runs, I made a running order of the show and the duration of each section so that it's broken down and easier to take in each segment. From this, I was able to learn the lengths of sections such as the graphics and 'transition sequences'- montages of the group members